On 10 June 2015, the government commissioned the MAC to review Tier 2 of the points-based system to address concerns about the rising number of migrants in that route and reliance on them to fill shortages.
The commission asked the MAC to look at:
- options to re-focus the route to genuine skills shortages and highly specialist experts
- how to limit the time that sectors can remain on a shortage list
- the implementation of a levy on Tier 2 visas, to fund apprenticeships
- tightening up on the intra-company transfer route, including applying the immigration health surcharge to intra-company transfers
- restrictions on the automatic right of Tier 2 dependants to work
- raising the minimum salary levels that migrants have to be paid
You can read about the review in the full report, executive summary and press release from the MAC.