EEA Residence Card

EEA Residence Card FAQs

Is there an official fee?
Yes. It costs £65 per person on top of the legal representation fees. Please contact us for more details.
How long is it valid for?
5 years
What to do if it expires?
Apply for Permanent Residence, Citizenship or another Residence Card if you fail to meet the legal requirements for Permanent Residence or Citizenship.
Are other EEA countries Residence Cards recognised in the UK?
In certain circumstances residence documents issued under the EEA law in other EEA countries are recognised in the UK for the purpose of entry. However it's still advisable to apply for a UK Residence Card. Please contact us for further advice.
Comprehensive Sickness Insurance
You will need to show that you and your EEA family member have access to Comprehensive Sickness Insurance (CSI) if the EEA national family member is residing in the UK as:
♠ a student;
♠ self employed;
♠ self sufficient.

The European Heath Insurance Card (EHIC) obtained from your country of residence is acceptable evidence of CSI, if your stay in the UK is to be temporary. Therefore, if applying on form EEA(QP) or CR1 using this card, you will also have to provide (called a 'statement of intent in the application form) confirming that you do not intend to stay in the UK permanently. If however your stay is to be permanent, or you are unable to get an EHIC card from your country of residence, you will need to obtain additional insurance. The British government does not accept entitlement to the National Health Service (NHS) as sufficient evidence of sickness insurance, so you will need to get the EHIC before you leave your country of residence, or obtain adequate insurance privately.

Retained Rights & Surinder Singh Applications
You may also qualify for the EEA Residence Card if you have a ‘Retained Right of Residence in the UK’ or are making a ‘Surinder Singh Application'.
EEA Nationals Students
If you are a family member of an EEA citizen who is a student, you can only get a residence card if you are related to them as their child, or their spouse or civil partner’s child, and are either under 21 years old or if over 21 years, are dependent on them.

Supporting evidence and fees
♠ your current passport
♠ 2 passport size colour photographs
♠ your EEA family member’s valid passport or national identity card;
♠ evidence of your relationship with the EEA national, for instance, marriage certificate, civil partnership certificate, birth certificate, proof that you’ve lived together for 2 years if unmarried
♠ evidence that the EEA national is residing in the UK in accordance with the EEA regulations (exercising EEA Treaty rights) i.e., your EEA family member is employed, self-employed or able to support you without relying on public funds.
♠ evidence that you’re financially dependent on the EEA national if applying as his extended family member.
♠ additional evidence depending on your circumstances

If there's a document that is not in English or Welsh, you will need to provide a certified translations. A £55 application fee per applicant will be applicable.
Wish to Apply?
If you'd like to apply for an EEA Residence Card please be aware that a large number of applicants are refused even though they appear to meet the applicable legal requirements.These refusals are attributable to applicant's failure to provide evidence in the required format or them being legally illiterate - failing to understand the rules governing grant of EEA residence cards.

The applicant, as a result, not not only loses the application and the fees but also complicates any future application that he may want to make. It is therefore critical that expert immigration advice and representation is sought before you submit your case to the Home Office to ensure you meet all applicable EEA Residence Card rules and policy guidelines thereby increasing your prospects of success.

We are 1st Citizen
- one of the UK’s best visa & immigration lawyers in London & Birmingham. Our inimitable reputation for excellence in the practice of law is acknowledged world-wide. From our offices in London & Birmingham we deliver top notch immigration advice & services that are tailored to your circumstances, free of legal jargon and aimed to help you get your visa with ease. We’re authorised by the British OISC, specialise exclusively in UK visa & immigration and charge affordable fixed fees unlike immigration solicitors. Call or email us today and get the UK’s best immigration lawyers in London & Birmingham to develop the best possible case for you and increase your prospects for success.