Updated: Updated paper application form and included a link to the online application form for applicants applying outside the UK.

If you are applying from outside the UK you must use the online application form. You must use the paper form above ‘Windrush Scheme application (UK)’ if you are applying inside the UK.

Introduction for Windrush applicants

This information is for Commonwealth citizens and their children (the ‘Windrush generation’), and some other long term residents of the UK who do not have documents to demonstrate their status. The Windrush scheme explains the groups who are eligible and the documents they may receive.

The Windrush scheme started on 30 May 2018.

Applicants applying in the UK must apply using the paper application form (see above).

Applicants applying from overseas must apply using the online application form.

The Windrush taskforce will contact postal and online applicants by phone or email if they need further information to decide their application.

Freephone: 0800 678 1925

Monday to Saturday 9am to 5pm

Sunday 10am to 4pm

Email: commonwealthtaskforce@homeoffice.gsi.gov.uk

Sign up for email updates on:

  • Home Office announcements relating to Commonwealth citizens, including the Windrush generation

  • next steps for those affected, including the compensation scheme and lessons learned review

Compensation scheme

We have opened a call for evidence for Commonwealth citizens, including the Windrush generation, who have faced difficulties in establishing their status under the immigration system. This is an opportunity for those affected to tell us about their experience, which will help us to shape the compensation scheme. It forms part of our commitment to do right by those who have contributed so much to this country.

The call for evidence will run until 8 June; evidence can be submitted by emailing windrushcompensation@homeoffice.gsi.gov.uk. This will be followed by a full consultation on the detail of the scheme.

Further information can be found on the Windrush compensation: call for evidence page.

Employers and landlords

There is also guidance for landlords about right to rent checks and for employers on right to work checks on undocumented Commonwealth citizens.

Read the publication